May Day is next Monday! This is the annual May Day march for immigrant rights hosted by El Comité and the May 1st Action Coalition in Seattle. While we have not currently organized ourselves as a group for this march (it has been a very busy month), we encourage members to join in to support immigrant rights in Seattle. The recent immigration policies and travel bans have harmed our fellow science colleagues and negatively impacts our work.
If you would like to join the march, please know that UAW 4121 welcomes SEA 500 Women Scientist members to join them at Red Square at 11AM to head to Judkins Park together. You can find our more about their meet-up time and place on their Facebook event page.
Please also read and sign UAW's call for University of Washington to endorse May 1st actions. This petition asks President Cauce to fight against:
- The Trump Executive Orders banning travel by international students and scholars from Muslim-majority countries
- Threats to end or limit the OPT and other programs and visas (such H1B) for guest workers
- Overt and covert racial and gendered violence, and all other manifestations of systemic oppression that target and threaten many marginalized communities, including immigrants, people of color, LGBTQ people, Jews, Muslims, and anyone else susceptible to discriminatory policies
- Cuts to funding of science, arts, humanities (NIH, DOE, EPA, NOAA, NSF, NEA, NEH)
- Denial of climate change and defunding of climate agencies
- Threats to health coverage for all
- Threats to reproductive justice, including breastfeeding, access to prenatal care, the ability to make choices about one’s reproductive health, etc.
Have a powerful May 1st!